Monday, December 13, 2010

Fabulous Christmas Fashion

Have you ever noticed that the holidays bring out some pretty amazing fashions. 

Some people just love dressing to the nines for parties.  This means sparkles, glitter, shimmer and all that is beautiful.  It is the favorite season for many who love to dress in 5 inch heels and long sparkling dresses.  For me it is the season of food and elastic waistbands.

For my family, the holidays are an excuse to drag out the most hideous clothing they own and wear special combinations of ugliness all season long.

Christmas day for my family is a day of food, games and clothing nastiness. 

You should see the stuff that comes out of the closets at Christmas time. 

My husband, Mickey, is a pro at digging up weird outfits all year long but he is especially talented at Christmas time.

Check out this spandex outfit.  Mickey got this U of U sweatshirt, U of U turtle neck and spandex shorts as a Christmas present from my parents that year.  I don't think my parents gave these items with the intent that they were to be worn all together as an outfit but of course Mickey put on every item he received that day.  He then proceeded to strut around as if he was wearing the latest fashion statement of the season.  



I must say that my family isn't the only family guilty of dressing in weird holiday things.  I mean check out some of the Christmas sweaters that people wear.

Some are so amazingly ugly that I am actually jealous of their sweaters.


This is one of Madisyn's friends who came to school in this sweater on "ugly sweater day" and I found myself secretly envying her special holiday sweater.  


Mickey's cousin Mike showed up at our Christmas eve party in this sweater that just screams fabulous! 

But don't fear, our family holiday fashion statements don't end with sweaters and spandex.  No......we branch out to hats too.



Mickey Jr. got this really nice, hunter orange hat on Christmas and next thing I know.........



Grandma Renee is wearing it and doesn't want to take it off! 



My daughter Sid whipped up this fashionable Frauline look. She is sporting her new (perhaps old) bandana and some knotted pig tails.  Sid considers this to be a real trend setting look when worn during the holiday season.  And while Sid wears her bandana and pigs......


Her sister Jensine prefers the snowboard helmut look.



I also noticed that during the holidays there are a whole lot of muscle shows going on at home.  Mickey has even named his biceps for the holidays.  He calls his right bicep "Instant Death" and his left "6 weeks in the hospital".


I also see a lot of bare skin on the boys during the holidays.

 I must say that I prefer the ugly clothes to the bare skin. 

For some reason the season brings out the need for "coolness" with the boys.  There is a whole lot of testosterone going on in the house during the holidays and I tend to see strange things in addition to muscle shows and lots of skin.  I also get to see vests worn without shirts beneath.  It's a redneck type of  look.


                         I even get an occasional visual of a speedo   
                                 which I don't especially appreciate.



I do however, ask the boys to please cover up when company arrives and this is what I usually get........



A nice salute and bow pasties.


As a family we try to do our best to remember what Christmas is really about, therefore, we put on our special production of the nativity each year.  But as I look back on old photos of our nativity, I just realize that the outfits we used for those pagents are just as weird as the rest of our holiday attire.  I mean check this out....



What is that mustache on my sister?  Is that an old yarn hair ribbon from the 70's?  And did the wisemen really wear hippie headbands?  I guess the 3 cottonballs in Sid's hair are a sign that she is the sheep?



Did C3PO fly in on his spaceship for that very first Christmas?

And lastly..........


Was a lampshade the best we could do for the "angel of the Lord's" halo?

I give up.

Holiday fashion will never be our strong suit.

I'm off now to take the girls shopping for their holiday hats so they have something nice to wear at the next special family gathering.



PS That's the top of Jensine's holiday hat and her eyebrows there in the front. 


 More on holiday picture taking later. 




4 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm in one of your pics! I'm famous! I'm on shari's blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious.......I laughed so hard that I started to cough and just about lost it all.
    Thanks for the holiday cheer ....keep it coming!!. love all you guys

    ReplyDelete