Saturday, October 2, 2010

Bangs, fringe and pixies

I just went to get my hair cut a couple of days ago and learned some very important information. 

Did you know that we no longer use the word "bangs"  when referring to  uuhh our "bangs".  We now say "fringe".  I asked my neice why she referred to my "bangs" as "fringe".  She said it's because "bang" has a whole new meaning since my generation of "bang" sayers.

I asked her what the meaning of bangs was if it did not mean the hair upon our four eds (that's how muma pronounces so I will too).  Well I was told that if you ask your client "Would you prefer a long bang or a short bang" that it meant something sexual and could, now a days, mean that your client may be answering a very personal question. 

Well it all came to me at that moment and that's when I realized that the word fringe would have to do. 

In my day "fringe" was the kind of thing that the surrey had on top (like in the play OKLAHOMA.  You know the "surrey with the fringe on top").

I guess this is much like the word "thongs".  I am thinking of those things we wear on our feet with the prong between the first and second toe.  Anyone 30 and over will know that those are called flip flops and a thong is a piece of thread used for underwear (and may I say that I will never understand the invention of the thong underwears).

So while I'm speaking of bangs I'd like you all to know that my muma used to cut my bangs I mean "fringe" into what we called "moon bangs"  (I wonder what that would mean nowdays).

Below is a picture of my sister and I.  She is the one on the right and she has some definite "moon fringe" going on.  I on the other hand have more of a squared off fringe look.


This next photo is a fine example of (from left to right) long "fringe" pulled back.  I am in the middle with definite "moon fringe" and my sister on the right is sporting what we call "slanted fringe".  Muma was a tich dizzy that day while triming.

In this next pix I am once again showing off my "moon fringe" with a crooked twist to them as well as the pouty look.  My sister on the other hand is once again smirking at my "crooked moon fringe" without realizing that her's could be slightly worse than mine.

Lastly I would like to explain that the below example is what we call a "pixie".  Twiggy from the sixties made this hair cut famous and I do believe it is still called a "pixie" and still famous!  Some examples of famous people with "pixies" are: Jamie Lee Curtis, Dame Judy Densch, Halle Berry, and sometimes Renee Zellwenger. 

I am going to sport a pixie from now on (unless the word "pixie" becomes a nasty word and in that case I will still probably sport the pixie cut anyway because of it's new meaning!)

I only wish a had a picture of my sister from the day I trimmed her "fringe" with the gardening shears".  I don't think that was a kodak moment for my mom or myself.  I was hiding under the bed after she saw my sisters new "fringe trim".

I suppose we can all wear our fringe the way we wish and call it what we want.  But if any of you should judge the fringe of my childhood just remember the "fringe" of the 80"s.

Signing off to go comb my "pixie fringe".

3 comments:

  1. #1. LOVE YOUR BLOG,
    #2. Post a pic of your new 'do!
    #3. Just yesterdee Mom told me that "bangs are back" and I should really think about getting some since my fore-ud has always been sa big.

    Speechless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...just wow! Can I say, you and I definitely have some good solid material for our therapy.

    Muma always blamed the crooked cuts on US, "because you just wouldn't hold still!". I'm still having issues over my first pixie cut on Mae Langston's kitchen counter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I have to say is I am still using "bangs" I like that word, unless it comes out of Whitey's mouth. But seriously are we going to change the name of Screws and Hoes etc?

    ReplyDelete