Monday, February 19, 2018

Closet Musical Lover

This year on Christmas Eve my husband Mickey, myself, my son, son-in-law and daughter went to the movie The Greatest Showman.  The men voted to go see this show.  My daughter Madisyn and myself,  voted to go see another movie, ANY OTHER MOVIE!  We're not musical people.  We enjoy murder mysteries and thrillers.

Because Madisyn and I were outnumbered we had to go to The Greatest Showman.

Madisyn and I are very open about our love for all things scary, hair raising and mind-bending.  Mickey on the other hand is a closet musical lover. Ty and Grant proudly make it known that they love all things musical and broadway!
All of us just before walking into the movie.
Do I look like I might panic?

We headed to the movie theater and I spent the entire ride trying to figure out the best way to get out of going to this particular movie.  Do I fake barf by dry heaving loudly like I could spew at any moment right there in the back seat or do I fake a leg cramp so I have to go home and lay flat for the next two hours or even go to the hospital.  Another thought came to mind, I could wait until I'm in the movie theater, pretend to actually be excited for the movie and when the men are all distracted by the first musical number and dip of a dancer then Madisyn and I can try to army crawl out of that theater and go next door to see Jumanji.  

We felt trapped like animals!  Tyler assured me there was dialog and not just singing and dancing.  Nope!   The movie started and it was singing and dancing.  Thats what it was.  The whole time.  

About 5 minutes in, the popcorn and Jr Mints were gone so I propped up my puffy coat on Mickey's shoulder to take a nap.  Mickey thought I was being romantic like one gets when watching a musical.  

My daughter Madisyn was sitting on the other side of me and about halfway through the movie and my nap she leaned over and said that every time a song was sung or someone did a dance move, the lady sitting on the other side of her would sigh and whisper comment something like, "Oh my!" or "This is wonderful" or "Lovely".   It was so annoying that she started to do the jiggle laugh. (When you can't stop laughing and you can't make noise). Of course her laughing got me laughing so I put my head down and tried my not to make noise or jiggle.  

Mickey looked at me and thought I was crying.  He told me he thought I loved the movie so much that I was crying.  Hi Mickey, I'm your wife Shari.  Have we met?    He leaned over and looked at me with possibly a tear in his eye and said,  "Are you crying?  I know.  Right?  This is wonderful!"  I looked up at him and he saw me trying not to laugh.  I could just see the shock in his face because I wasn't crying. My callousness angered him and right there in the theater he grabbed the top of my head and shook my head back and forth by my hair.  I still could not stop laughing.  It made it worse.

Eventually I regained composure.

I napped for the last half hour of the movie and then it was over. 

Mickey and I enjoy many things together but musicals are something we don't enjoy together.  

One time when Mickey was working out of town I called him that night to chat and Mickey asked me what I was doing.  I told him I just watched Silence of the Lambs and was reading my book Cause of Death because I love all books by Patricia Cornwell.   He got quiet for a minute.   I realized I could hear singing in the back ground....... 

We love you Conrad, Oh yes we do.....

Shari :  Mickey, what is that music I hear in the background?

Music:  We don't love anyone as much as you..........

Mickey:  What music?

Music: When you're not near us, we're blue......

Shari:  Is that Bye Bye Birdie?  Are you watching Bye Bye Birdie? 

Mickey:  Shari?  Shari?  Can you hear me?  Phones breaking up.....  Getting in an elevator.....  Going to boxing....  


Shari:  Got it.

I know Mickey loves his musicals.  I'm hoping one day he'll free himself from the closet but I still love him.

In the meantime Madisyn and I will white knuckle our way through thrillers,  brain twisters and homicides..

*Disclaimer:  Readers, please do not think less of me for not liking musicals.  I have tried to like them and I do enjoy Thoroughly Modern Mille probably because there are stunts and paralyzing darts that are shot through straws at people.  I do know of people and relatives of mine that have seen The Greatest Showman a bunch of times. I hear it was really good  but I used it for nappy time..




  


No comments:

Post a Comment