Thursday, October 28, 2010

Eye Spy

I have a fascination with eye wear.
  
Because of this fascination I, of course, had to google eye wear.  I found out that historians believe the first type of glasses were made in the 1200's.  Can you believe?

Many people have been made famous or are recognized by their eye wear. 
My favorite is Dame Edna.  Google Dame Edna and just wait until you see her glasses.  She is just snazzy!

We all know Sara Palin and her trademark glasses and who can forget Sally Jessie Raphael's signature red, google eye glasses.  They were very popular in the 1980's.  Lastly, the most frustrating eye glass wearing character was Mr. Magoo.  Why didn't Mr. Magoo just wear his glasses ALL of the time?

I love the glasses of the 50's and 60's.  Cat eye glasses were the rage.  My grandma had some real nice silver cateye glasses.

During the 60's, cat eye's were still popular but it seemed that people branched out at bit.

My first personal experience with glasses was in the 70s.  I preferred Glacier glasses for my out door activities.  

I also had what we all called "mirrors".  They were aviator glasses that had mirrored lenses.  These were particularly handy when you wanted to see what you looked like.  You could just look into your mirrors to put on your lip gloss.  Also, no one could see your eyes so you could just sit and stare and stare at people and they never knew.  So so cool!

The hot glasses of the 80's were Ray Ban type glasses.  I had lots of kids in the 80's so I'm not sure what I used for sun glasses but I bet I had fake Ray Bans.

I will be honest, I don't remember a lot of the 90's and for sure I don't remember what I wore but I have pictures. I had even more kids during the 90's than the 80's.  I believe that Oakley razerblades were a big item.  I even had a pair for a minute.

My sister Mindy and I are showing off our glasses of the 90's here.  I honestly don't know if these were in style at the time and I don't think she knew either.  We probably bought them at the gas station.


Now that we are in the 2000's I think eye wear has swung to the bug eye, Jackie O type glasses.

The bug eye look is modeled below by my sister Mindy.


Once again, I really don't know if these are in style but she pulls the look off nicely. 

I have passed my love of eye wear on to my children.  My entire family seems to love eye wear. 

Ty's favorite accessory was his windshield wiper glasses.  These were fabulous and the wipers worked!




These are my daughters at the grocery store imitating those of us that need a little extra help with reading glasses.  They are rude girls.



I have no words for this picture except that Mickey Marvin started young with the eye wear and believes with all his heart (pun intended) that he is wearing these the proper way.

Below is my son Whitey wearing some square glasses that make him look smarter than he is!



As much as I love glasses, goggles are an even more amazing invention.  They can be worn in so many different ways. 

Whitey wears goggles to keep the smoke out of his eyes while barbecuing.  He's genius.



My son Ty and sister Molly are showing off their latest goggle wear.  I'm just wondering why, with his gianormous noggin, he is the one wearing the rather small goggles while she wears the large ones.  These two are deep thinkers as you can tell.



The following is a picture of my two daughters wearing their ski goggles.  One question that I've been pondering, why must goggles be so large?  These goggles are half the size of their faces.  Is this necessary?


Once again, why the small goggles on the huge melon?  Actually, now that I look at this picture, I think the goggles are not the attention getter of this picture.  By the way this is my dad and my husband.  I'm a lucky gal aren't I?


It is evident to me that my kids are confused about cowboys AND eye wear. 

This is Ty at preschool cowboy day.  Why the sunglasses?  I did not dress him this day.

I have no words for this picture except like I said, "Whitey is genius".


I'm off now to go read with my reading glasses.  If it's sunny out, I will need my sun glasses too.  Now days I prefer the combo glasses look vs. the single glasses look of my past.


Now that's hot!

2 comments:

  1. Now that is a sight for sore eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sunglasses have green tiger stripes on the side. They are massive. Apparently that's trendy :)

    ReplyDelete