Monday, March 5, 2018

Wally's lawn shrooms


I want to tell you about a grandchild of mine named Wally.  Wally has a particularly colorful personality.  I'm going to focus on his eating habits to begin with. Wally is an extremely healthy eater.  He eats lots of green veggies.  He has green drinks with Romain and bananas every morning (I think they taste like slimy grass) with a side of eggs or oatmeal.   He has not experienced foods like cookies, ice cream and treats, therefore, he doesn't have a taste for them and doesn't even know what those foods are. 

 
Wally posing for the picture like
he's about to eat a cookie!
(note there are 0 nibbles)
One time we took Wally out for lunch and I did a lab test on him.  I sometimes use my grandkids and husband for my own little lab tests (unbeknownst to them).  To test Wally, I lined up a slice of cucumber, a strawberry, a piece of bread and a cookie with M&M's all over the top.  I watched to see which one Wally would pick up and eat.  His mother said, without a doubt, that he would eat the cucumber. Sure enough he picked up the cucumber and ate it without hesitation.

So to test Wally a bit more, I picked up the cookie and handed it to him.  He turned it over and over in his hands, looking at it like it was a frisbee.  I told Wally to eat it and I pushed the cookie up by his mouth like all good grandma's do.  Wally stared at it and got it near his mouth but he wouldn't take a bite! 


Wally is so used to eating green things that he'll go outside and pick something off a plant and ask if he can eat it.

                                                                                  

Wally bringing home a tumble weed for dinner.
  
Wally asking if he can eat these leaves

Sometimes he'll even pick up things, like a tumbleweed, and bring it home for dinner.  He's going to be a fine husband.

One Easter, almost a year ago, I had my family over for Easter dinner.     


While dinner was being prepared by most of the adults, the kids were outside playing their own unsupervised version of corn hole. 

Two of my grandkids, Wally age 3 and Millie age 4, were among the grandchildren.  They are inseparable and love nothing more than to play together.   Everything was going great and dinner was just about ready when Millie came running into the house.  She tugged on Wally's mom and said, "Sid, Wally's eating mushrooms from the outside."  Sid followed Millie outside to find Wally picking the mushrooms out of the lawn and popping them into his mouth.  

Sid ran over to Wally and  began digging mushrooms out of Wally's mouth.  Sid,  "Wally! Have you been eating the mushrooms out of grandma's lawn?"  Um, DUH Sid.  She grabbed the rest of the shrooms out of Wally's hand and brought them inside.  She asked me if I knew if they are poisonous or not and I told her that I didn't think they would be good to eat or I wouldn't be buying them at the grocery store.  

I told her to call poison control (I've had experience with them before) and find out what they recommended.  In the meantime, I started googling lawn mushrooms and comparing them to the mushrooms Wally just picked and ate.  I found that the mushrooms that Wally ate are non-poisonous but have a small amount of hallucinogen in them.  

Much to our relief or not, poison control confirmed this and said that we should watch Wally closely for any signs of hallucinogenic type behavior. (Not sure exactly what that could be?)

Sid and I glanced over at Wally and Millie playing in the family room.  Wally was doing front flips off of the back of the couch and landing on the coffee table.  After a few flips he screamed like a wild man and ran off to chase Millie around the house while making strange animal-ish sounds.  I turned to Sid and said, "Sid, how exactly can you tell if Wally's having hallucinogenic type behavior?"   Sid said, "I have no clue.   I guess if he passes out or something."


Wally has already knocked out half of his front
tooth and killed the other front tooth
Wally has also had a skull fracture
and had a whole slew of scrapes and

bruises.


Wally is a very busy little boy with lots of energy like most 3 year olds but I like to think of him as a special little guy with lots of talent however I keep thinking..............




God bless my daughter for the next 20 years.



3 comments:

  1. I love that little dude. And his green drinkin mama. (I also think it tastes like grass) and would rather have a salad on a plate than in a cup. cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize Sid has such unnatural eating habits! No wonder she looks like a Greek goddess! I love your posts! Best laughs!!

    ReplyDelete