Thursday, May 10, 2018

Sing Your Talentless Heart Out!

Me singing to my mom in a special frying pan microphone


There's nothing like a beautiful singing voice.  My mom and my sisters have beautiful voices but that is a gene that went missing in my DNA.  When I sing in the shower, I sound amazing.  When I sing with earphones on, I sound fantastic.  When I'm by myself singing with the music turned up really loud, I sound incredible.  The problem is when someone records me and I hear myself singing, I just can't believe how bad I sound.  I'm the worst.

Mickey thinks he's an amazing singer. He's as bad as I am.  Mickey's go to Karaoke song is Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond.  Mickey thinks he sounds just like Neil Diamond when he sings it. He thinks he IS Neil Diamond when he sings it. Below is a video of Mickey singing Sweet Caroline at a district work meeting.  Neil Diamond?  The way he swings his hips at the beginning, I think he's thinking he's Elvis too.


My mom's singing group that she
played the piano for.  She's the one
on the far left.
My mom is a talented pianist and has a wonderful voice.  She used to play piano and sing in a group.  I don't know their group's name but they could really "doo whap" and "shoo bee doo" it up.  My mom used to listen to the McGuire sisters, the Lennon Sisters and the Anderson sisters.  I think she had dreams of her 5 daughters becoming the Melville sisters.  Only problem was that there was a "fly in the ointment".  My mom would have us stand around the piano and accompany us while we sang songs.  We could even do harmony.  Well, not really we.  Mom would say to us, "Sing loudly so the people in the back can hear you. Shari, sing with your nice voice".  You could say that I was the insect in her singing salve.  We would sing every so often in a church meeting or for a "progrum" as my mom called them.  I always tried to use my nice voice but I've realized that lip syncing is more my jam.  Check this out.......




I used to sing to my kids in the morning.  I had a couple of special songs just for the mornings.  My kids never recorded me singing in the morning so no video. Go figure.  When I sang my version of Twedily Dee to Tyler in the morning, I could have him crying and enraged by the end of the 1st verse.  Good thing I didn't know the 2nd verse.  

I've always sung to my kids.  Sometimes they would cover my mouth as tiny children and say, "Don't sing".  My grandkids do this sometimes.  I'm used to it so I still sing to them. 
 Below is a video of my daughter Madisyn singing songs to me that I taught her while laying in bed for 3 months waiting for the birth of the twins.  (yet another blog). You will notice  that Madisyn thinks some of our songs are "yucky" or that she doesn't want to sing them.  She would also rather have Tyler's gum than sing.





Madisyn was a darling singer at age 2 but then she got older and taught Ralph to sing.  Not such a darling singer and she's stressing out Ralph. 

                                  

I never gave up trying to teach my kids to sing.  Below is a video of me teaching Maggey to sing at age 3. You will be able to hear my nice voice teaching her.  The end of the song is best. Can you imagine my not nice voice.  Also take note that I have a lot of help. Sid will back Maggey up and fluff her hair and Tyler gives us his rendition of opera in the back ground then Maggey will perform 'I'm Wishing' by Snow White.

                                  

Maggey actually has a great voice and can still sing. 

For years my daughter Sid would try to sing.  My other daughter Jensine would play this game with her that they called the matching game.  Jensine would sing a note and Sid would try to sing a matching note.  It was a rough game to watch. One day Sid told me she made a video of her performing on the guitar.  I was so excited to watch her play and sing.  This is the video she made...........


                                     

Sid has skills.  She is now teaching her son Wally some of her singing skills.  She has him listen to musicals and he's an excellent lip syncer. 


                                     

Whitey thinks he sings really well too but he's more of a bobble head, talking singer............

                                    

My grandma's would both sing to me.  My grandma Barker would sing a Swedish song that I never understood and a song about animal sounds called "Cackle, Cackle".   Yep! It should have gone gold.   My grandma Verna would sing a song called "A little boy went walking."  She sang it to all of her grandchildren, great grandchildren and great great grandchildren.  Here's a video of my 98 year old grandma singing that very song to my grand daughter Navy.  Navy is her great great grandchild.  The video is shortened because the song was too long to post on this blog site but grandma remembered the whole song! 


                                       

We may not have the singing gene in our family but we think we have a few special musical abilities.  It doesn't matter if you have talent,  just sing your heart out. (and make sure someone records it)







No comments:

Post a Comment