Friday, March 18, 2011

Kindergarten and Brain Recesses



Tyler in kindergarten




When Tyler was in kindergarten he was quite the character and by the end of his kindergarten school year I knew every person on the school staff by first name and they all knew mine and especially Tyler's.  




It all started with a phone call I received one morning from one of the school secretaries informing me that school had been in session for a whole month and Tyler had yet to be on time.  The teacher was very concerned and so was the principal.  


I told her that was impossible since I drove him everyday and I dropped him off in the kindergarten drop off area.  I personally watched him walk around the corner to where the kindergarten doors were and from there I assumed he "entered" the kindergarten doors and began his day.  I told her that I knew he was being dropped off within 5 or 10 minutes of school start time.  


She said that he was always about a half hour late.  So I replied with the ever so brilliant question of, "Well when does school start for the kindergarteners?"  Ty was in afternoon kindergarten and I was told it started at 12:30.  Sure enough the secretary told me that afternoon kindergarten started at 12:30.  


I told her I dropped him off at about 12:20 sharp but that I would talk to Ty and find out where the problem was.  I was pretty sure that Tyler was not the kind of kid that could just sit in a classroom and be on time but remain unnoticed.  If anyone knows Ty you know that he talks to everyone he comes in contact with.  I promise a teacher would always know when Tyler entered the building.


After hanging up with the secretary I sat Tyler down and began my discussion.  


It went something like this:


Me: Tyler, so the secretary of your school called.


Ty: Oh? Pam called?  (Tyler is always on a first name basis with school staff)


Me: Yes.  Anyway, she said you are about a half hour late to school every day.                                       That is really late.  How long does it take you to walk in the door and into your class?


Ty: Shrug


Me: So Ty are you late?


Ty: Shrug


Me: Ty when you walk into your classroom are the kids all there?


Ty: Yes.


Me: Well what are they doing?


Ty: School stuff.


Me: Have they done the Pledge of Allegiance?


Ty: Shrug

Me: Did you notice that you were late?


Ty: No.


Me: Ty, after I drop you off and you walk around the corner, do you go into the kindergarten doors and go to class right away?


Ty: No.


Me: WHY?


Ty: Cause I like to take recess first and then I go to school. 


OK. So mystery solved.  Ty chose to take recess first with the first graders.  Really, when you think about it, it's genius! 


So I had a little chat with Ty and pointed out that he didn't get to pick his recesses but that he could only go to recess when the teacher said he could. 


I called the secretary and explained the situation and just asked her if she would let me know if Tyler was late in the future.


I noticed that throughout Tyler's school years he continued to take recess frequently during the day only it was a little recess, here and there, in his mind.  He took these recesses until the day he graduated.  I do have proof he graduated.....recesses and all.  Oh I was so proud and relieved that day!




Exactly just what Tyler did during those special kindergarten recesses is a whole nother blog.


I'm off now to go take a recess of my own.  






No comments:

Post a Comment