Friday, October 1, 2010

October...time for the cemetary!

Aahh October is here and surprisingly it is still very hot where I live so it has been hard to get into the spirit of the fall season. 

I love the fall!  I love the smell of fallen apples rotting on the ground and that musty dead leaf smell.  Love the colors, love the cool days and cooler nights. I love it, love it all.

Time to drag out my autumnal palette and stick it on my mantle.

Speaking of fall, I love the cemetaries!  What a great place to celebrate the season. We have some fine cemetaries here in our city.  

For the last several years I try to pursuade my kids to come with me to spooky places I know.  My goal is to scare the crap out of them.  I live for these moments. 

Here is the amazing thing. In our city's oldest cemetary there is a gravestone that actually has "Lily Gray"  "Victim of the beast 666" written on it.  Each year I visit that grave.  It is my favorite grave.

Below is a picture of my daughter by that headstone.  I guess people put coins on it for good luck.  My family just lays down by it and gets their picture taken.  I have visited this headstone more than any of my relatives who have passed.  By the way you can google this to find out why they put "Victim of the Beast" on her headstone.  There are a few theories but best part is that her husband died on HALLOWEEN!  Not kidding!





Most local cemetaries have creepy things you can find if you google them and go look for them.  They even do haunted tours of our old city cemetary at Halloween time.  I prefer to haunt my own tour.
I love taking pictures of stones with odd names or scary names.




This guy below is the guy that actually invented the traffic light.  Now how great is that.  Check out his name........ "Wire"  That's amazing!






And this is me trying to pretend my head came off and is sitting on top of this stone.  Does this look real?



Check out this bad boy.  His roller on top of his stone just rolled off by itself(or did it?) 



And was this guy a basketball player????????
Is this nasty????


Lastly, in the picture below is another very spooky headstone!  What in the world does this mean?  I guess I'm off to google it! 




Happy trails in the cemetary..........







2 comments:

  1. Now this macabre-madness just runs in our genes because I also L-O-V-E the cemetery! Our THIRD annual Cemetery Stroll is a-comin' up in just a few weeks at Mt. Olivette and I'm thinking it's going to be a gooder!

    Shari - will you pull out those divining rods you found last year please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I came across your blogger while searching for Lilly E. Gray's grave. I had a hard time looking for it. If it's okay to ask, where did you find it inside the Salt Lake Cemetery? I believe it was supposed to be somewhere around 1150 East and 335 North, but I wasn't able to find it. Can you give me some instructions where to look?

    Sorry for bothering and thanks for reading my comment.

    ReplyDelete